Made to Measure: How Opinion about Executive Performance Becomes Fact
Wednesday 18 March 2015
The Wesley Hotel
81-103 Euston Street
London NW1 2EZ
We frequently hear that well-paid executives are 'wealth creators' and that massive executive pay packages are necessary to attract and retain 'top talent'. Critics rarely challenge these assertions or ask what difference handsomely-paid business leaders actually make.
At this event, leading management writer, David Bolchover, will present a new High Pay Centre report examining the contribution of individual executives to company performance. John Plender, senior columnist at the Financial Times and corporate governance expert, will join David in discussing the report. The debate will focus on questions including:
- Can a handful of individuals really determine the fortune of huge companies with hundreds of thousands of employees based on multiple continents?
- How dependent are executives on the advice and actions of their employees?
- What about the economic context? Or the role played by governments in developing infrastructure, research projects and public services to support economic growth?
- Even if we assume that executive leadership is the key determinant of company success, how unique are executive leadership abilities and can they not be developed or taught?
There is a growing consensus regarding the economic and social costs of rising inequality driven, in part, by high executive pay. As such, it is vital that we debate the reasons used to justify top pay and examine whether they stand up to scrutiny. The report is part of our project examining performance-related pay and is based on in-depth interviews with leading executives, academics and other commentators as well as a survey of members of the Institute of Directors.
This event is free and open to the public, but RSVPs are required. Please email email@example.com to reserve your place. The discussion will be followed by a wine and canapes reception.
Since 1 January 2018 the average FTSE 100 CEO has earned:
Income inequality in the UK
Wealth inequality in the UK
- Speech given by Chuka Umunna MP at IoD Feb 8 2018
Here is the text of the speech given by Chuka Umunna MP at our event held at the IoD on Feb 8th 2018
- Chuka Umunna - how much progress on taming excessive executive pay?
Pamphlet presented by Chuka Umunna MP at a High Pay Centre event held at the Institute of Directors, London, on February 8 2018
- News - Chuka Umunna to speak at HPC event at the Institute of Directors, Feb 8th at 8am
We are delighted that Chuka Umunna has chosen to share his thoughts on "The Progressive Case for Business" on Feb 8th from 8am