High Pay Centre Half-Day Conference: Reforming Performance Pay
Wednesday 13 May 2015
The Wesley Hotel
81-103 Euston Street
London NW1 2EZ
· Simon Walker, Director-General, Institute of Directors
· David Pitt-Watson, Executive Fellow, London Business School
· Nicola Smith, Senior Economist, Trade Unions Congress
· Andrew Smithers, Economist, Smithers & Co
· Deborah Hargreaves, Director High Pay Centre
In recent years, the issue of performance-related executive pay has become politically explosive. A culture of 'rewards for failure' has been castigated in the media. Politicians have proposed a range of policy measures designed to curb bonuses and incentive payments. A significant minority of shareholders have voiced their disapproval of executive pay packages at a number of leading UK companies, while a survey of Institute of Directors' members identified executive pay as the biggest threat to public trust in business.
This conference is the culmination of our year-long project on performance pay and marks the launch of a major new report from the High Pay Centre, setting out a better model of performance-related pay that rewards successful leadership fairly and proportionately and can enjoy the confidence of business, shareholders and the public.
Discussion topics include:
· How did we get here? The explosion in executive pay and the different causes
· Defining performance: How do we measure exceptional performance at individual or corporate levels, and how can the contribution of single executives be objectively understood
· The way forward: Re-designing performance-related pay to restore trust in business
Morning plenary from 10:30 - 12:00, speakers include:
· Dr. Ruth Bender, Cranfield University
· John Plender. Finanacial Times
· David Bolchover, Management writer
Afternoon plenary from 12:30 - 14:00, speakers include:
· Simon Walker, Institute of Directors
· Nicola Smith, Trade Unions Congress
· Andrew Smithers, Smithers & Co
· David Pitt Watson, London Business School
Lunch as well as coffee and tea will be provided throughout the conference.
This event is free and open to the public. However, RSVPs are required as attendence at this event is strictly limited. Please email email@example.com to reserve your place.
Since 1 January 2018 the average FTSE 100 CEO has earned:
Income inequality in the UK
Wealth inequality in the UK
- Speech given by Chuka Umunna MP at IoD Feb 8 2018
Here is the text of the speech given by Chuka Umunna MP at our event held at the IoD on Feb 8th 2018
- Chuka Umunna - how much progress on taming excessive executive pay?
Pamphlet presented by Chuka Umunna MP at a High Pay Centre event held at the Institute of Directors, London, on February 8 2018
- News - Chuka Umunna to speak at HPC event at the Institute of Directors, Feb 8th at 8am
We are delighted that Chuka Umunna has chosen to share his thoughts on "The Progressive Case for Business" on Feb 8th from 8am