Mythbuster: Are huge executive pay packages really vital to UK competitiveness?
As part of the New Economics Foundation's 'mythbuster' series, Luke Hildyard debunks the myths used to justify excessive executive pay
We’re encouraged to believe that company executives are talented wealth creators, worthy of extreme pay packages which supposedly drive them to work hard to the benefit of society.
As part of the New Economics Foundation's mythbuster series, Luke Hildyard analyses the arguments put forward to justify the shocking growth in executive pay packages over the past thirty years, finding that there is little evidence to support them:
- the risk of executives moving overseas is greatly exaggerated - less than 1% of the world's biggest companies have lured the CEO of an overseas rival with an increased pay package
- there is little evidence to support the idea that there is a finite pool of irreplaceable company leaders - internally-promoted executives, nurtured by strong personal development programmes, tend to perform better than supposed superstars recruited from external competitors
- For all the talk of 'performance related pay' the rapid growth in executive pay packages - driven by huge increases in bonuses and incentive plans - has brought about little improvement in company performance
The fact that these myths have been allowed to take hold has greatly exacerbated levels of socially-divisive inequality in the UK, while the increased share of the national income captured by the richest 0.1% diverts wealth from low and middle-income households.
Since 1 January 2018 the average FTSE 100 CEO has earned:
Income inequality in the UK
Wealth inequality in the UK
- Speech given by Chuka Umunna MP at IoD Feb 8 2018
Here is the text of the speech given by Chuka Umunna MP at our event held at the IoD on Feb 8th 2018
- Chuka Umunna - how much progress on taming excessive executive pay?
Pamphlet presented by Chuka Umunna MP at a High Pay Centre event held at the Institute of Directors, London, on February 8 2018
- News - Chuka Umunna to speak at HPC event at the Institute of Directors, Feb 8th at 8am
We are delighted that Chuka Umunna has chosen to share his thoughts on "The Progressive Case for Business" on Feb 8th from 8am